Friday, June 10, 2011

Hobbling Hopefully



I am sitting in the coffee shop. Austin Java – a rather hip Austin spot. They have good egg tacos and hot green tea, so I am here. Two old women have just hobbled in on their walkers, and I see the wisdom in their faces. I start to cry because I have been considering my grandmothers, their lives and their passing, already this week. Me Maw and Nanny, they so shaped me. I have always valued old people and their stories, even since I was a child. Maybe because my grandmothers told me stories, sang me songs, taught me to read, shuck corn, and feed the chickens. Someday, I too will hobble, hopefully with wisdom and grace. Sometimes, our work is remembering.

What are you remembering today?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I can imagine the sweet moment those ladies with walkers hobbled into the hip coffee shop...and the trigger that brought home those memories for you.

    It's been so long since my grandmother passed away, but I was crazy about her--I wish I'd lived close enough for her to teach me all that she knew. I regret not learning to make her homemade egg noodles. :)

    Nice to meet you through TheHighCalling.org!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to meet you Ann! The egg noodles sound amazing. Maybe you can learn to recreate them? It might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally catching up on blog reading. I just wanted to say this post is beautiful. Our grandmothers are often very influential and special people. I hope we all keep their spirits alive in the lives we lead. Anytime I fire up the oven or hear someone hum a soft melody, I honor my grandma Anna Lee's memory. Thanks for reminding all of us of the special legacy of grandparents.

    ReplyDelete