Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lent Inverted - Giving when it hurts


"The point of Lent is for your sacrifice to remind you of Christ's sacrifice. So, as long as the task reminds you of Christ's sacrifice for you and reminds you of your sin and need for repentance, I think that would maintain the spirit and purpose" said Vicki Vaughn, a spiritual guide who is an expert in spiritual formation. I had been toying with this idea for many days before Lent and even a few days after it started. This confirmed the legitimacy of my idea and moved me forward. So this year, I am doing lent upside down, or inverted. Instead of giving something up, I have added one more thing to my to do list. For me, as for many of us, adding one more thing to the list is a sacrifice of my time and maybe even a little sleep. Certainly, every time I participate in this activity, I will be reminded of my need to follow Christ's leading in my life. So as I sit and write this blog many days into the Lenten season, I participate in a moment of obedient sacrifice, giving this moment to God, knowing I am in great need of his grace. Other tasks go undone, and I am forced to focus Christ alone. To the gift of Himself I answer in the giving of myself and my time, making myself available to his presence and his call.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful--the gift of His Presence makes the sacrifice a reward. Isn't that just like our Jesus!

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete